Wednesday, July 18, 2012

You're Gonna Give It Up For Free

"Free" is not always free.

Are you a member of the creative community? A shooter, a producer, an editor, an actor, a writer, a graphic designer, an artist, a musician? As you see it, are you well established?

You think you are talented & skilled. I understand that - I feel much the same way about myself. You should feel that way. It's called confidence.

By now it is possible you have served an internship, for higher education credit or otherwise. Mine didn't exactly break me into the business, but I'm told others have benefited more.

It is also possible you are still working for free: on the promise of favors, points, future consideration, or partnership.

I personally feel creatives should get paid, every time. The Biz, the industry, the scene does not always share my point of view: there's a tradition of using the creative. It's like hazing, only They call it paying dues.

So you're definitely gonna give it up, put out so to speak. You might even go to some personal expense, experience some measure of financial loss, all on the wink and nudge of hopeful reciprocity.

WHY NOT DO IT FOR A GOOD CAUSE? Volunteer your time, effort, talent, skills, and even your equipment to a charitable event or public service production. You'll make connections and build a reputation for independence and reliability. Heck, there may even be some room in their budget for an honorarium.

EDITED to include mention of musicians! Sorry about that - I'm more attuned to the visual components of entertainment given my background, training, and general tone-deafness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment