Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Social Media Engagement for Causes

I realize I need to write more: content is king!

That said, I'll begin to roll-out what I consider a framework or methodology of Social Media Engagement for Causes (in particular) that I've been developing as a matter of trial-and-error, some research, and deductive reasoning.

I am NOT a social media expert! In fact I take exception to the word "expert" in the context of the new frontier "social" represents, as well as "best practices." Once upon a time experts insisted the world was flat and best practices included bleeding to balance humors.

Of importance to my thesis is the distinction to be made between engagement as a variable of social media MARKETING (an exploit of what I term Big Marketing), and engagement as a function of relationship communications.

The first rule of social media engagement is: BE HUMAN. I did not make this up.


The first letter of my framework is M.

M is for...

MONITOR
Engagement suggests the building of social relationships. In order to engage you must be aware of where you exist in the virtual conversation. This is both more or less an understanding of your own SEO in practice. Monitor your social, inside and outside. Pay attention to who Follows you, Likes you, +1s you, etc. and writes anything at all about you and your cause. Just Google it!

No comments:

Post a Comment