Saturday, July 7, 2012

Failure Analysis

For a little over a decade I've been trying to make a "go" of it in the entertainment industry, with mixed results. I'm finally at a place in my life, and, with myself, that allows me to admit it's just not gonna happen. Totally fine with it - I've got lots going on that fulfills me.

So I'm trying this thing.

I work long hours most of the week and when I get home I really just want to spend time with my loved ones. That said, blogging and other social media activities are a weekend distraction, a proper hobby. The fact is I was never really able to commit to the time and effort demanded of the Biz, even as I worked to "promote" and publicize the work being done in Texas (mostly Austin). Without regret or apology: I won't sacrifice the little down time I have attending events, volunteering my analyses, and "networking." I guess I'm kind of a curmudgeon.

I do enjoy writing, I love Texas entertainment, and I really dig social media - not as a job, come to find out. I found almost no satisfaction in promoting people's work that really didn't *need* the help. All-in-one producers are DIY to the death it seems, for good or for ill. More power to them. I'd rather help those who need it and want it, and, frankly, appreciate it.

So what EXACTLY is this thing?

My hope is that it becomes a community of cause-driven, civic-minded organizers ("dugooders") AND production personnel: a meeting place for the two to come together, get introduced, and work with one another. In addition, I'll offer perspectives and plugs on a variety of topics, especially as pertains to Social Media, non-profits (broadly conceived), community efforts, and Texas media production.

Social Media Engagement is the tool I'll employ to build awareness - and I hope others will join me. It's not about volume - it's about the quality of Followers, shares, Likes, +1s, etc. 

I like to think much can be gained from a sincere failure analysis - unflinching introspection. Ignoring what doesn't work and elevating the successes is, in my experience, a recipe for disaster. I've got many opinions & bones to pick, so, occasionally I'll take the role of gadfly and social critic. I like to rant, which some find entertaining, too!

Find me on Facebook - Like & post. Follow me on Twitter, @TexSHO - I follow back! 

Later today I hope to post on Social Media Engagement, and to highlight some upcoming events and opportunities to give back.


No comments:

Post a Comment